ABOUT THE IRC

Our Mission

To provide outstanding Facility Management and Information Technology Services to support NOAA’s mission.

Our Vision

A high performance sustainable facility that will enhance the technical and scientific research and operations conducted by our building tenants and their partners.

About the IRC

This world-class facility consolidates NOAA programs and operations on the island of O’ahu into a single facility on federally-owned property at Ford Island. NOAA in Hawai’i manages an extensive portfolio of programs addressing fisheries, ocean, coastal, climate, and atmospheric issues in the Pacific. These programs are diverse and geographically wide-ranging, affecting not just Hawai’i, but also the larger Pacific region.

Principal construction completed on 8 October 2013 with the turnover of the complex (312,000sf) to NOAA. Information Technology work continues until February 2014, but preliminary occupancy has occurred with the building management staff and complete occupancy is expected in April 2014.

By bringing its programs together into one facility, NOAA will realize benefits in improved operations and mission performance, longer-term operational savings, and opportunities for greater program collaboration and synergy—both within NOAA and with external partners. This facility is a vision shared between NOAA Leadership from 2005, architecture firm HOK and associate architect Ferraro Choi & Associates Ltd.

Aerial view of Building 130

Campus 30 acres. Photo Credit: NOAA

Aerial view of Building 130

Overhead shot. Photo Credit: NOAA

Aerial view of Building 130

Waterside ribbon cutting ceremony area. Photo Credit: NOAA

Back to Top

 

PROJECT OVERVIEW

“A World Class Facility Serving the Pacific”

U.S. Department of Commerce
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
  • National Marine Fisheries Service
  • National Ocean Service
  • National Weather Service
  • National Environmental Satellite Service
  • NOAA Research

NOAA Pacific Region Overview

Pacific Region Mission Highlights

Ford Island – Background/History

Ford Island – Background/History

Ford Island – Today

NOAA Inouye Regional Center – Ford Island

Sustainable Design Features

Benefits from the Inouye Regional Center

Back to Top

 

BUILDING AND CAMPUS DESIGN

The IRC Main Facility includes the re-purposing of the historic hangars Building 175 and Building 176 and a new structure – Building A – that links the hangars into a unified composition. The hangars were originally used to repair WWII fighter aircraft. The exterior of the hangars have been restored and repaired to meet the functional requirements of NOAA as well as the requirements of historic preservation partners to maintain the visual integrity of the exterior.

Entering the facility on the ground floor of Building A, one is greeted by a three-story high central atrium containing an extensive exhibit space, reception and pre-function space, a research and reference library, auditorium, and meeting rooms. Additional support spaces at the ground floor include training rooms, a fitness and wellness center, and a dining facility.

Site Design

A circulation path unites the historic tarmac, the historic hangars, and the makai waterfront into a unified NOAA campus. Along the waterfront there are places for large gatherings, informal dining, and exhibits highlighting the island’s voyaging history.

Care has been taken to incorporate native and cultural components in the buildings and surrounding campus whenever possible. Native ohia wood floors in the visitor’s center and staircases, a star compass unload in the courtyard near the waterfront, and native plants in the landscaping all point to a strong respect for Pacific Islands culture.

Center Design

To facilitate Pacific Islands marine biology research, a suite of laboratory and support areas was designed over two floors on the southwest side of Building 176. A loading dock on the first floor gives access to the necropsy suites, with the main body of laboratory accommodations serving chemistry, biology, and molecular disciplines located immediately above.

A seawater well collects water from over 1,200 feet below ground level and is used to supply the outdoor marine animal tanks, seawater ports in the research laboratories, and an aquaria room. Four monk seal tanks (9,400 gallons each), 6 turtle tanks, 3 fish tanks and 2 multi-purpose tanks make up a 87,200 gallon facility which consists of eleven separate water treatment systems. Remote video and infrared illumination is available to monitor animals in the tanks.

Located in Building A, the National Weather Service continuously monitors and anticipates significant upcoming weather events through the Pacific Regional Operations Center, and provides reports, status update and supports as necessary for hazardous weather and tsunami events.

Back to Top

 

FORD ISLAND

Ford Island is located in the middle of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. It is connected to the main island by the Ford Island Bridge. Before the bridge was built, Ford Island could only be reached by a ferry boat which ran at hourly intervals for cars and foot passengers. The island houses several naval facilities. It also has four main groups of military housing: Nob Hill, Luke Field, Kamehameha Loop, and Battleship Cove. The United States Census Bureau defines Ford Island as Block 9014, Block Group 9, Census Tract 81 of Honolulu County, Hawaii. The island officially has 0.707 square miles (1.83 km2) of land and a population of 368 persons as of the 2000 census.

Ancient Hawaiians called the island “Moku‘ume‘ume” the isle of attraction. It is currently named after Dr. Seth Ford, a Boston physician who practiced medicine at the U.S. Marine Hospital from 1861-1866. When Ford died, the island was sold to the Honolulu Plantation. The U.S. Army purchased it during World War I for $236,000, and stationed the 6th Aero Squadron there on September 25, 1918.

On April 29, 1919, the field was named Luke Field, in memory of 2nd Lt. Frank Luke. It was transferred to the Navy in 1932. At the height of World War II more than 40,000 people lived and worked on the 450 acre (183 ha) island. The island was in the center of the Attack on Pearl Harbor, because of the battleship moorings surrounding the island.

Aerial view of Building 130

Aerial view of Ford Island. Photo Credit: NOAA

Aerial view of Building 130

Ford Island. Photo Credit: NOAA

Aerial view of Building 130

U.S. Navy planes and a hangar. Photo Credit: NOAA

Back to Top